What are we trying to do now?
I'm glad you asked… I, with the assistance of Peter and the CGBlog team, have been working to further extend the world of the U.S. Coast Guard so that its members, us Coasties, can partake in the everyday activities of explaining, showing off, questioning, and answering the happenings of todays United States Coast Guard.
However, we can't do this alone. There is far too much information to be documented on the U.S. Coast Guard for a team of bloggers to categorize it. This is where you, our humble readers, and masses with the information come in- the world of a wiki can only be completed when the masses join together and contribute their knowledge for a single goal of categorizing it.
As of now we are currently using CGBlog.org as our everyday example of the Coast Guard world. But after the posts are off the home screen it tend to be gone out of the memory of everyone/thing except for the writers and Google. In steps this Wiki.
Our goals for this site:
- Categorize the USCG- and keep it up to date!
- Projects (i.e. Deepwater, Acquisitions outside of Deepwater…)
- One-stop data dump for Coast Guard information such as vessels, people, and missions.
- Put truth to rumors out there, where they came from, where their going- that is, the rumors and truths.
- Another way to communicate with the public about issues of the Coast Guard, and to lay to rest any speculation, we're not trying to compete with the other Coast Guard forums, our goal is the wiki. The forums are just an added benefit.
What can you do?
Got a subject of specialty knowledge in the Coast Guard world or just a willingness to research and write? You can contribute to this wiki by joining here and help in our goal of having a one-stop information site with easy searchability (and no, that is NOT a real word).
New to the wiki world?
- To make a page for something that doesn't exist yet you can either go to the Make a NEW page link at the top of the page or you can go here.
- To edit a page, go to the page and click the Edit button. You can change everything in the main area of your page. The Wikidot language is easy to learn but powerful.
- You can attach images and other files to any page, then display them and link to them in the page.
- Every wiki.cgblog.org page has a history of edits, and you can undo anything. So feel secure, and experiment.
- The license for this Wikidot site (wiki.cgblog.org) has been set to Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. All information posted on the wiki or forums becomes Creative Commons.
- If you want to learn more, make sure you visit the Documentation section at www.wikidot.com